Black Colleges: A Continuing Legacy
St. Paul’s Normal and Industrial School (Lawrenceville, Virginia), St. Augustine’s Normal School and Collegiate Institute (Raleigh, North Carolina), and Bishop Payne Divinity School (Petersburg, Virginia) were the first and largest schools administered by ACIN. Later, Fort Valley High and Industrial School (Fort Valley, Georgia) and then Voorhees School and Junior College (Denmark, South Carolina) joined ACIN as schools receiving the largest percentage of available funds.
Fort Valley’s transfer to the State of Georgia in 1939 (though ACIN continued its support to the school) and the closing of Bishop Payne in 1949 left the core institutions of St. Paul’s, St. Augustine’s, and Voorhees as the only schools to remain under ACIN when the organization dissolved in 1967. [Sources]